Remember that you can treat many minor ailments such as colds, coughs and indigestion by keeping a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home.
We suggest you keep the following:
- Paracetamol and Aspirin (children under 16 and people with asthma should not take aspirin).
- Mild laxatives.
- Anti-diarrhea medicines.
- Rehydration mixture.
- Indigestion remedy (for example, antacids).
- Travel sickness tablets.
- Sunscreen – SPF15 or higher.
- Sunburn treatment (for example, calamine).
- Tweezers and sharp scissors.
- A thermometer.
- A selection of plasters, non-absorbent cotton wool, elastic bandages and dressings.
- Keep the medicine chest in a secure, locked place out of reach of small children.
- Always read the instructions and use the suggested dose.
- Watch expiry dates – don’t keep or use medicines past their sell-by date.
- Take all unwanted and out-of-date medicines back to the pharmacy. We do not dispose in surgery.